.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Joseph Hammer – I love you, Please love me too 7.6


               This album is proof that the original weird spirit of LAFMS (Los Angeles Free Music Society) continues. Here we have Joseph Hammer engaging in some old-fashioned weirdness. Plunderphonics would be a good description of what’s going on here. However, that wouldn’t accurately describe what’s exactly going on.

                Instead of the usual abrupt edits prevalent in so many plunderphonics records, this is much more spacey. Samples weave themselves in and out of the mix, as various anchors (themes like the ongoing phrase “The Water stops”) give it a sense of moving forward. Most artists would’ve preferred a faster pace, by making the project more akin to plunderphonic drone; he’s stumbled upon a surprisingly engrossing method.

                Part II offers even stranger samples. I think I can make out some of William Basinski’s “Disintegration Loops” through the various levels of muck. By having these diverse associations, it gives an otherworldly effect. Towards the end of it you’re treated to a singer’s voice transformed into crow form. 

                I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.  Perfect music for a lazy afternoon; just let it play in the background. As it plays, feel it come in and out of focus, that’s probably the best way to experience its many charms.