.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Playlist for the Air Force

This is for perhaps one of my favorite people. Long before I became an unprofessional blogger, I wrote little short stories.  She approved of them, thought they were funny. For various reasons I won’t be posting those up on here, I just wanted you to get a sense of how much I truly care about this person.

                When it was my birthday, I got the least amount of hits ever for my blog. Upon that realization, I understood that I live in the real world. What this person did, this Air Force, she sent me an entire box of goodies for me to open. Now I just received it and can sleep easier as a result.

                We’ve been friends for years. What this playlist does is introduce her to a little bit of who I am and a little bit of who she is. The intention with this one is to bring both of our interests closer together. Also, this is partial repayment for the package you sent to me.

                As I have done for the more recent mixes, this one will be kept short and sweet. Hopefully you’ll be able to enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed putting it together. 

1.       The Kinks – Afternoon Tea
Everything should start with the Kinks: weeks, drinking sessions, karaoke. The Kinks are the band that did no wrong. Plus, they are the most British thing I can think of.

2.       Modest Mouse – Doin’ the Cockroach
“Doin’ the Cockroach” introduced me to Modest Mouse. “Lonesome Crowded West” sounds American, Western to me. Since I grew up in the East I wonder whether or not that affected what I listen to, what I enjoy. This is a blast of a track.

3.       Meat Puppets – What to do
I like the low-key attitude of this song. Every MIX CD needs a flippant track, so here’s mine. 

4.       Wire – 106 Beats That
AF enjoys a type of music which leads me to believe she’d enjoy this as well. Hopefully she does, it’s a classic.

5.       Magnetic Fields – Papa was a Rodeo
Magnetic Fields released 69 Love Songs, and this one is easily my favorite. The relaxed atmosphere (obviously I’m a down tempo kind of guy) is perfect. 

6.       Tuxedomoon – New Machine
Actually, I lived off this band for a while in college. Years after the fact, this song inspires me like it is some kind of half-remembered Saturday morning cartoon. 

7.       Marine Girls – Second Light
This is twee cutesy music done right. 

8.       Yann Tiersen – Dust Lane
Triumph over adversity and geography. I wish geography didn’t stifle my dreams the way it does.

9.       Deerhoof – Secret Mobilization
Deerhoof are great. As soon as they get really sweet and caring, they explode. Just like people living, loving, and exploding. 

10.   Low – La La Song
She likes these guys. Clearly she has good taste paying attention to one of the most overlooked American band. 

11.   Xiu Xiu – Blacks
Few bands capture what a nervous breakdown sounds like better than Xiu Xiu. 

12.   Women – Venice Lockjaw
I liked their album a lot. By having more people listen to them, I hope the positive experience of listening will convince them to come back together.

13.   Pavement – She Believes
She believes in me!

14.   Washboard Rhythm Kings – Just Another Dream of You
Aw, this song says everything I’m too shy to say. 

15.   Tim Buckley – Anonymous Proposition
I’m glad I care about someone enough to put this on a MIX CD. One of the most romantic songs I’ve ever heard in my whole life.

Altogether you have 55 minutes of sweet stuff. PS: I’ll send a MIX CD to this special someone, who might just be you (contact for further details!).
Like the Air Force, she protects me from the gray skies.