.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Caddywhompus – The Weight 7.7


                Lately I’ve been feeling giddy. I don’t know why. Perhaps it has to do with the scent of early summer in the air. Right now I can feel it is coming, it will be here. The beginning of the summer is always filled with joy; it is literally my favorite time of the year. All that potential not yet wasted. Caddywhompus’s album “The Weight” does a pretty good job of matching my mood.

                It blasts off. They describe themselves as ‘Spastic Pop’. While that does describe them to some degree, there’s a certain heart to the whole album. Each song builds and feeds off the other one. “The Weight” careens from its loud beginning to the quiet moment in the middle. For every song on here has a ying to its yang, a quiet for each piece of loud. Hearing the large sound of the guitar, I’m reminded of Chris Rehm’s solo work. 

                The highlight is the longest track “The Others”. I like how it stops and starts dramatically. Caddywhompus, whatever that word means, applies to this noisy track. Hopefully the drummer was kept hydrated for the duration of the song for it is a true workout. Personally, I kind of wonder how much fun these guys must be to see live, especially for this beast of a track. 

                You can get the entire thing for free right here.  For such a small album it offers a considerable amount of punch.