.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Chad Valley – Fast Challenges


             Cascine is a label specializing in “Experimental Pop”. That means smooth sounds, vocals, and an undeniable fondness for sweet melodies. I’ve been sort of following them for a while, wondering when I’ll get overwhelmed by one of the artists. Each artist is carefully chosen for sure. Whoever selects the sounds has good taste and some serious frequent flier miles (hanging out in Florence and Stockholm; being based out of London, New York and Los Angeles. I guess the term ‘jet set’ still has meaning.) But only today did I hear something that ‘blew me away’.

                Hugo Manuel (the man behind Chad Valley) is something grand. It is no surprise he’s from the UK. Electronic acts are just better across the sea, I’m not sure why. The Puritans who came here lacked the genetic makeup for serious club bangers and electronic pop music in general. We had boy bands, utter rubbish, the UK gets Chad Valley. Somehow I feel a tad cheated. 

                “Fast Challenges” is a teaser for the EP out in the beginning of the summer, June 20th to be precise. A summer release makes sense, as the song itself positively shines. Yet again, I’m convinced trance pop will make a comeback before I turn too old to dance. The build on this is great; the vocals are pitch-perfect, and the sound. Well as a few commenters have already stated, it is lush. Early 90s lush, I enjoy the extreme attention to detail percussion and all.

                I’m happy he comes from Oxford. Oxford is quintessential England to me, with canals, crew teams and tea houses. Chad Valley represents to me the quintessential sweet trance pop song which I hope will become a tad more common. A teaser this good is a rare treat indeed.