.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Kyle Bobby Dunn live from the Cameo Lounge


                Kyle Bobby Dunn’s album “Ways of Meaning” has quickly become a favorite album of mine.  So when I heard he would be performing, I decided to go. Cameo Lounge, a place across the street from American Apparel (just in case you forgot you were in Williamsburg) ended up hosting him. This was ideal. Usually in the middle of the week I feel a bit overwrought. Spending an hour or so with Mr. Dunn’s music sounded like a good way to relax.

                Besides Mr. Dunn, we were also treated to a visual performance which worked alongside the music. The images were of ordinary things after one paid attention to them. Among the video piece one saw manipulated fireworks (my personal favorite), a close up of a drink, and other images so foreign I can’t even begin to guess what they might have displayed.

                I like how Kyle’s music forces people to be quiet. After about a minute, everyone began regulating their movements in accordance with the sound. No one bought a beer, touched a glass, or even coughed. For music to do such a thing is no mean feat. Take it from someone who has a tendency of standing in front of rich YUPPIES talk about their vacation home out in the Hamptons. Having a musician who can suck the ambient noise out of a room is a rare feat indeed.

                The pieces were mostly from his newest album. “Movement for the Completely Fucked” the gem of the album was introduced with some slight changes. Sitting there you had to surrender to the sound. While it starts up quietly it builds. Live it felt more intense as I tend to listen to music on headphones than on speakers (damned laptop). I enjoyed the loudness. Real volume occurred only at specific points, to heighten the listener’s awareness.

                Usually I get to concerts in time to see the opening or closing act. In this case I missed the other performers. My apologies for that, it was a very busy day. Kyle Bobby Dunn did a fantastic job with the smallest of details. Hopefully his next performance in DUMBO will be even more successful.