.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Kyle Bobby Dunn – Ways of Meaning 8.5


                “Ways of Meaning” may be Kyle Bobby Dunn’s springtime album. His last work “A Young Person’s Guide To” felt glacial compared to this work. I like both, but the shorter length and louder volume makes it a bit easier to immediately enjoy. Volume is a relative thing in Kyle’s world. Things never get too loud; his focus on silence is greatly appreciated. 

                How he unfurls his work is great. My childhood was spent listening to various classical pieces, especially slow ones. In church I’d hear the organist play to let us know when to be seated and when peace was upon us. “Statuit” gives me that same warm feeling I got from shaking everyone’s hand after saying “Peace be with you and also with you”. There’s sweetness in the piece, a patience which I don’t often encounter, even within the slow-moving world of drone. 

                This is still quiet music despite the slight increase in loudness. “Canyon Meadows” is the loudest piece on here. I figure it is to give a sense of largeness to the record. When I listened to this, I was watching the shadows grow as the day ended. Perhaps this might be the best way to listen to the song, I’m not sure. 

                “Movement For the Completely Fucked” is the longest track on here, and probably the jewel of the album. The title itself reminds me of Stars of the Lid’s tendency to use jarring titles for their calming pieces. Fifteen minutes go by so blissfully. I think this may be my favorite piece on the album. 

                All of Kyle’s work revolves around patience and longevity. Considering he’s been making music for almost 10 years, that’s pretty impressive. It’s doubly impressive he’s only in his early twenties and has already built up such a large body of work. “Ways of Meaning” may be my favorite release from him so far, so sunny and full of hope.