.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Perverted Pop Playlist (The Triple P) Part II


                Do I have a lot of playlists? Well, yes, I most certainly do. This particular playlist series is based on stuff I could probably party at a party without too many people getting angry at me. Most of these songs contain a certain pop sensibility, or they are just songs I really enjoy.

                Unlike the previous list, there is a greater diversity of pop music. Chillwave and Hypnagogic pop have moved on, mutated, and taken new forms. The 90s will be coming in soon, so I sort of want to prepare myself for its eventual arrival and mining. Hopefully you enjoy this list as much as I did making it. Like the previous Perverted Pop Playlist, it is precisely one hour in length to correspond with my lunch break. 




1.       Gary War – Born of Light
Born of Light sort of rushes towards you. Perhaps in the future all pop music will sound similar. I can hope. This is the best thing I’ve heard from Gary War thus far.

2.       Brown Recluse – Paisley Tears
Paisley Tears reminds me of Elephant6 for some indescribable reason. They get the mood right and sort of allow for a break after Gary War’s whiplash pace. 

3.       Archers of Loaf – Web in Front
Archers of Loaf embody early 90s college rock. Now that the 90s are far enough in the past to begin counting things as classics, I’d say this belongs up there with the classics. Only two minutes, but all it ever wanted was to be your spine. 

4.       Teeel – Masterplan
Sure, the 80s might be mostly over as a way of being a retro fad though high unemployment and disillusionment suggests otherwise. However, Teeel is one of those few still successfully visiting it while countless others do tepid attempts. 

5.       Outer Limits Recordings – Plastik Child
So I have Outer Limits Recordings on the other mix CD. That just proves the intense amount of love I have for this project. Perhaps they will someday release a sweet album. 

6.       Pink Flamingos – Hungry Night
Oh man, I adore this song. When I listen to it, I can imagine the 80s movie it could have introduced. Some cheesy romantic comedy would have literally drooled over how ridiculous it was. In the off chance I make a movie, I want this song to introduce it. 

While their EP was great, this song was easily my favorite. It glides so smoothly in under two minutes. Pop music never sounded so good to me as it does here. 

8.       St Ranger – Ohnowoe
St Ranger has a great summer feel to it. Whenever I listen to this song in particular, I feel like summer is going to get here. Things are going to get warmer and more enjoyable.

9.       Toro Y Moi – How I know
According to Last.fm, this is one of my most played songs. When I heard this, I had it on repeat for a long time. This has everything I enjoy in a song. Hopefully, after this, he’ll have collaboration with Stereolab and I’ll cry tears of joy. 

10.   The Wrens – I married Sonja
The Wrens have a lot of good songs, but this happens to be one of my favorites of theirs. You’ll have this stuck in your head for ages.  If the 90s ever get mined for material, I wouldn’t mind a couple of bands ripping off Wrens material. Personally, I feel more Wrens songs make the world a better place.

11.   Camper von Beethoven – Tania
Camper von Beethoven is one of those bands I introduce to people and they instantly like it. I can’t imagine people disliking an articulate, intelligent band like them. Plus, I actually have a friend who met all of them in real life, and confirmed they were as nice as their recordings suggest. Tania just happens to have won the coin toss. 

12.   Chris Weisman – The Paradox of Thrift
Either Chris Weisman is a recluse or very bad at promotion. There is so much material of his which is finally seeing the light of day lately, so hopefully more people will discover him. I choose this song because it sounds timeless. 

13.   Carsick Cars – Zhi Yuan De Ren
China is catching up on us rock-wise. According to this Carsick Cars song, they are in the late 80s/Daydream Nation age. We need to move faster to get into mining early 90s material before they beat us to it. This is a fantastically excellent song, forceful, ambitious and happy. I want to hear more from them. 

14.   Chris Rehm – Blinders
While most of these songs have been more pop-orientated, I wanted to put this one alongside some of my favorites. It is a favorite. The song has such a strong emotional connection to me; it reminds me of staring out at the sea before I just dive in (sorry I used to be a lifeguard). As an added bonus, this song is free for download by going here. 

15.   Boards of Canada – Rue The Whirl
Boards of Canada take their time with releases. They take their time with a song. I sort of wish more bands had their patience. Sadly, most rush things for a release a year. Meanwhile, these Scots lock themselves away for a half-decade. 

Part III will be forth-coming as well. Hopefully I can continue to keep enough attention to bother with a third installation in this very rare thing (me following up on stuff).