.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Zola Jesus – Valusia 5.3


                  Zola Jesus is Nika Roza Danilova. Located in Los Angeles, she comes out with a certain throbbing kind of music. It is a bit brooding, and I’ve previously encountered her with LA Vampires on their collaboration. On this EP though, I’m left with a sense of “is this it?”

                None of the songs really stick out at me. Sure, there’s a definite martial feel to the drums. Zola has a nice voice. But each melody feels way more dramatic than necessary, like some kind of cheesy music you’d hear in a genetic film where the protagonist has discovered something amazing. I don’t know why this bothers me so much, but there’s an overwhelming quality to it which gives a false impression. 

                Perhaps this is my experience from listening to too much music. I can’t really find any of the things I normally enjoy. Only the ending of the EP “Lightsick” alleviates some of the sameness of the sound on this EP. By using a piano, I’m granted a respite from the slick, generic-ness of the other three songs. 

                I will give other stuff by Zola Jesus a try. Her previous efforts I’ve heard appeared to be more paired down and Spartan than this offering. But Valusia is not a good place to start with her.