.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

The Obits – Moody, Standard, and Poor 6.4


                Moody, Standard, and poor describes the music contained within these 35 or so minutes. Unlike their previous album, they sound a wee bit angrier. Actually, I kind of enjoy the mood on the album in general. The last album felt a little light to me, it lacked a certain personality. Somehow this album feels a bit more honest, a bit more real to me for reasons I have a hard time articulating. Could it be perhaps they honed this material while they were on the road, gauging the audience’s reaction to each song. I’ve heard that’s a way bands determine what they should go with and what they should ditch.

                I hear more on here that I enjoy, as opposed to the previous release of theirs (I Blame You). There are still songs on here I don’t care for that much. Some of the more energy-filled songs sort of rehash exactly what I didn’t like about their first album. On these sorts of songs, I’m reminded where they get their influences of yesteryear, but I’m not hearing their personality as much. Faster songs seem to buzz by without leaving any lasting impression on the listener. 

                Generally speaking, I like the longer, more patient songs. “Shift Operator” has a great buzz going on in the background. It is forceful while keeping a slower tempo. The singer does a perfect job keeping the mood tied down. Actually, when I first heard this, I was extremely happy. Obits was paying attention to the littlest of details, down to the exact kind of sound and feel they wanted for the song. “New August” does a similar thing in allowing things to sort of sink in with the listener instead of just flashing on by. A chugging rhythm works effectively. Plus, the subtle change in the volume from the beginning to the end just confirms how they’ve gotten better at finding an identity for their music.

                From their last album, this is a big improvement. They did a better job editing down their ideas, whittling down the length. While I still wouldn’t exactly call myself a fan of their music, I do respect what they did on here. Of course, there are a lot of bands working with this kind of sound, but The Obits on this album did a better job differentiating themselves.