.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tape – Revelationes 6.2


                Tape is a group consisting of brothers Andreas and Johan Berthling. From Sweden, they trod along in this album with vaguely affecting music. But at the same time, it basically fails to leave any real lasting impression on me. Since it is so tastefully done, it is hard to accuse them of outright theft. I do wish they had spent more time on creating a specific sound than going with this pleasant yet forgettable path. 

                “Dust and Light” the first track on here, left me feeling hopeful about this group. It is a good track, better than most of what makes up the rest of the album. The guitar work is nice on here, reminding me of Tristeza’s better songs. Guitars glisten as a mournful organ comes in and the whole piece builds up nicely. 

                Most of the album goes a different path. Lacking any real intensity, it sort of shuffles forward. Personally, I have nothing wrong with a band taking its sweet time (hence why I love bands like Tortoise) but when they do it so monotonously, I get a bit bored. Tortoise doesn’t rely solely on the fact of group play; they tried that on “It’s All Around You” and failed. Somehow Tape failed to get that message.

                While I don’t hate this album, I hear moments which show a better album is in them. There are aspects of the sound which suggest next time they may get a more interesting perspective.