.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Laetitia Sadier – The Trip 8.5

Alright, I’m a sucker for her voice. It sounds pure sweetness to me, and her ability to switch from French to English whenever she feels like it rocks my little world. Plus, for this particular project her vocals are prominently placed up front.

If you liked Stereolab’s last effort “Chemical Chords” then there’s a more than likely chance that you’re adore this. All the breezy sounds Stereolab is loved for are here: jazz references, French singing, and 60s and 70s pop. 

Vibraphone on “Fluid Sand” introduces you to the rest of the album. It is an easy beginning, which morphs into “One Million Year Trip”. “One Million Year Trip” brings a motorik beat on top of soaring electronic synthesizer. That energy is found on “By the Sea”, which possesses the heart of the very best Stereolab tracks: an urgent guitar, a tight beat, and great vocal delivery. 

My favorite out of all these gems has to be the off “Un Soir, Un Chien”.  Each time I listen to it I’m reminded of 80s style Jane Birkin. Obviously there are the French lyrics, which no doubt conjure those images in my mind, but there’s also that comfortable bass line and bloopy electronic noises. Oh, this works for me so well.

Perhaps we’ll continue to hear more from her. An expectation that she’ll have the same prolific output as Stereolab is absurd, but I’d be content with another album or two. Love it.