.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

B.R. Posse – Dreaming of the Bassline 6.1


Alright, this release sort of proves my theory I have about Rephlex: that they are so wedded to a particular style of music that it becomes stale. Sure, no one would argue that Jordan Muscott is doing a bad job here of referencing IDM and Deep House, but it isn’t very exciting. It sounds like the sort of thing you’d listen to once or twice and then politely forget.

Perhaps the inner two tracks (“Drop Anything But Acid” and “I want to help you Roland”) are the highlights. These actually engage the listener in some small way. At least the rehashing of familiar genres is done in a tasteful way. Having relatively memorable melodies helps of course.

I can’t exactly hate this EP. B.R. Posse did accomplish what he set out to do. Just sometimes I wish there was more ambition with this sort of thing.