.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Chicks on Speed – Chicks on Speed will Save Us All! 6.5

I have an emotional attachment with this particular album. When it first came out, I grew unreasonably obsessed with it and played it on repeat for an indefinite period of time. So bad it became that I saw them live, trying to convince others to see them with me at the Knitting Factory. They were about as art trashy as I could’ve hoped. Coming back to this, I wanted to see whether or not I still felt the same way about them. 

The music is still insanely catchy. Like, as I’m listening to this I remember some of my favorite songs clearly. But what sounded new in 2000 comes across as a bit dated now. For one, the electro clash thing they got involved in sounds a bit stale now. Plus, there’s a few more dullard tracks than I remember “Little Star” being a prime example. 

But those are minor details. A few tracks here avoid the inevitable aging process, like the mischievous “For All the Boys in the World”. No matter what happens, I’ll always adore this piece. It has some jittery melody in there somewhere, along with disemboweled vocals. 

Also, some of the ironic posturing no longer has the same feel for me. Songs like “Glamour Girl” come across as too much fluff. Yes, I know it is supposed to be sarcastic but it sounds a bit embarrassing to me. 

On the flip side, some of these songs still work the same way they did years ago. Listening to the entire album, their darker songs worked out much better. Songs like “Warm Leatherette” which is a great disturbing cover, and “Euro Trash Girl” which is pure garbage (I mean that as the highest compliment) remind me why I liked them.

Later on in their career they veered a little too much towards various inside jokes. But this one, though a bit dated, still has enough to offer.