.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Snowstorm

Ah yes, the first snowstorm of the year has arrived. For a few hours, you sort of stare at it. It possesses certain innocence in the beginning. Nobody’s touched it yet, it is still pure, and it has yet to bother you. Your small step, that one which starts your commute, ruins the little sympathy you have for it, as does digging your car out of the snow, walking through the dangerous parking lot, and realizing that your train has been delayed. Thankfully I didn’t send the night having to sleep on a bus due to the blizzard, though I know a few people did. For those people, you beat the 8 hours I spent stuck on Amtrak. 

                New York should be better prepared for snowstorms, yet it always forgets something in preparation. I’m not sure what, there have been countless ones. Maybe the one in 93 might have been the worst one I could remember. Balls of ice kept hitting me in the face for that winter. They hurt. I felt sad but overcame.

                Times like this I long for my Costa Rican origins. I miss hanging upside in a tree, sleeping, eating low-calorie branches, sleeping, reading The Economist, sleeping some more, partying, sleeping, hanging out with hot sloth babes and sleeping. All that sunshine meant that the fragile chillwave ecosystem could flourish.

                Up in the winter, I just get a bunch of drone artists like William Basinski and Phil Niblock. Neither one of those artists is bad, but I feel that they represent a colder version of me. You see, I used to be much more of an introvert. Magical people convinced me of the importance of going out there and meeting people. College taught me that. People taught me that. But most importantly, music taught me that.

                Snow then cramps my style instead of matching my style like it used to. Instead of reading endless, vaguely depressing books, I read happy, ultra-snobbish books. The current book I’m reading, expect a beautiful book review for it in roughly a year or so (I’m a slow reader).

                What I do like about the snowstorm is it allowed me to contemplate my life, the blogs I read, the people I’ve been fortunate enough to meet, and all the great things that have happened to me. Last year was filled with sadness but I have a strong feeling that in 2011 everything will be better. In fact, there will be a list describing what releases I hope to see and/or look forward to.