blunderboy
Jul 6, 03:36 AM
Don't we have enough fear, uncertainty, and doubt without invoking even more of it?
tombo
Nov 16, 05:33 AM
i second the jbl creatures, i have a set of the silver ones and the sound quality is really good.
I also have a set of JBL Creatures, but I wouldn't say the sound quality is really good. They are very good for the price, and I do love them to bits but they don't cope very well at high volume (like, Maximum).
They are fine for a bedroom, but I don't think they have enough 'in hand' to be loud in a large room. I am fussy, but I get some distortion when listening to them very loud. Great for gaming and mp3, but not for listening to classical music or hard-house up high.
They look superb, though :)
I also have a set of JBL Creatures, but I wouldn't say the sound quality is really good. They are very good for the price, and I do love them to bits but they don't cope very well at high volume (like, Maximum).
They are fine for a bedroom, but I don't think they have enough 'in hand' to be loud in a large room. I am fussy, but I get some distortion when listening to them very loud. Great for gaming and mp3, but not for listening to classical music or hard-house up high.
They look superb, though :)
Badger^2
May 4, 11:04 AM
Now, once iPhoto has opened/launched, will it operate any faster or smoother if iPhoto is installed on a ssd vs. if it was on a hdd?
Probably not. If your iPhoto library is anything like my iPhoto library -- it would eat up 1/2 of a 256 gig SSD. Same with my iTunes library. And my movies folder.
So your iPhoto library will have to be on the platter drive.
Same people who talk about their "tons of Aperture work with RAW files" -- well those files wont be fitting on a 256 gig SSD.
Probably not. If your iPhoto library is anything like my iPhoto library -- it would eat up 1/2 of a 256 gig SSD. Same with my iTunes library. And my movies folder.
So your iPhoto library will have to be on the platter drive.
Same people who talk about their "tons of Aperture work with RAW files" -- well those files wont be fitting on a 256 gig SSD.
66775
Apr 27, 10:54 AM
by the way, I just ran a "fsck -fy" test and the msg was "The volume MacIntosh HD appears to be OK"
Please help :(
Please help :(
more...
Ashok0
Apr 19, 12:59 PM
My new display has a Mini DisplayPort, but my computer has a DVI connection. I didn't read the tech specs closely and now I have a display that can't connect to my computer. I've read about the Atlona dual link converter, but I've heard that will only work if my graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 2600) supports the resolutions that are available with the display. (I made a mistake in the subject line - my mac pro is early-2008.)
What resolutions does the 27" have, such that I may check that against my current graphic card?
I'm also thinking about just buying a new graphics card. What graphics card will both work with my computer and with the 27" display?
(The page for the ATI Radeon HD 5770 (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC742ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY) at the Apple Store says mid-2010, but my Mac is early-2008. Additionally, my System Profiler says I have PCIe, whereas the previously-mentioned card need PCI Express 2.0. Are these incompatible?)
I'm a but stupid about these things, so thanks for any help.
The ATI Radeon HD 5770 doesn't work with the ACD27". I know it has DisplayPort, but there is a bug with various ATi 5xxx cards which makes them incompatible. It is an ATi issue and there is NO fix.
That being said, all ATI 5xxx EYEFINITY 6 cards with DisplayPort work. All AMD Radeon 6xxx cards with DisplayPort work. And all nVidia GeForce cards with DisplayPort work. You can get a nice GeForce card w/ DP for $150. And any modern video card will support 2560x1440. Any DisplayPort video card on newegg will work for you as long as it isn't an ATi Radeon 5xxx card. You could also buy an Atlona DP400 but its $150, the same as a new video card (ripoff).
What resolutions does the 27" have, such that I may check that against my current graphic card?
I'm also thinking about just buying a new graphics card. What graphics card will both work with my computer and with the 27" display?
(The page for the ATI Radeon HD 5770 (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC742ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY) at the Apple Store says mid-2010, but my Mac is early-2008. Additionally, my System Profiler says I have PCIe, whereas the previously-mentioned card need PCI Express 2.0. Are these incompatible?)
I'm a but stupid about these things, so thanks for any help.
The ATI Radeon HD 5770 doesn't work with the ACD27". I know it has DisplayPort, but there is a bug with various ATi 5xxx cards which makes them incompatible. It is an ATi issue and there is NO fix.
That being said, all ATI 5xxx EYEFINITY 6 cards with DisplayPort work. All AMD Radeon 6xxx cards with DisplayPort work. And all nVidia GeForce cards with DisplayPort work. You can get a nice GeForce card w/ DP for $150. And any modern video card will support 2560x1440. Any DisplayPort video card on newegg will work for you as long as it isn't an ATi Radeon 5xxx card. You could also buy an Atlona DP400 but its $150, the same as a new video card (ripoff).
Tallest Skil
Jun 5, 12:59 PM
Oh, dear. It's Monday. It's WWDC. We don't know. There won't be an iPod touch.
more...
lucascantor
Oct 18, 10:16 PM
I live right near the Ardmore store, so I'll be going there for the release, but I already ordered my copy online just to make sure I get it.
aussie_geek
Aug 10, 10:48 PM
BS. Where are you getting your info? The CPU does all the work, the HD only stores the info crunched to send back to SETI. I am coming up on my 1st yr anniversary and no problems. My main machine is the G3/300, 6 yrs old and still purring like the day it was new. Just make sure you have a good air flow through the box and everything will be fine. It is the peps that use PowerBooks that burn up your machine, probably because they don't raise it off the table to get air underneath it. I use 1/2" rubber feet and a small desk fan blowing across the unit to cool my PowerBook the fan hardly comes on. My temps never exceed 109�F in my G3.
What happens is when you are processing a work unit, the result from each process is written back to disk. Although the data units are small (about 350kb) your Mac is continually reading / writing the data from the same sector of the disk. Think of it as a bush track. Although there is lots of dirt there, over time the people who walk through there make a groove.... Do you want this to happen to a $200 hard drive?
Now, lets say that data unit is somehow fragmented on your drive. Imagine all the work the drive heads have to do to read / write a data result.
This is why you should set up a ram disk - it saves your hard drive and actually speeds up the process. It is always faster to read / write from ram than it is to a HD. ;)
aussie_geek
edit - although I do think distributed computing is a great solution to solving problems, I can't see myself being that dedicated setting up a box fan to cool my computer so I can pump out 300 work units a year....
What happens is when you are processing a work unit, the result from each process is written back to disk. Although the data units are small (about 350kb) your Mac is continually reading / writing the data from the same sector of the disk. Think of it as a bush track. Although there is lots of dirt there, over time the people who walk through there make a groove.... Do you want this to happen to a $200 hard drive?
Now, lets say that data unit is somehow fragmented on your drive. Imagine all the work the drive heads have to do to read / write a data result.
This is why you should set up a ram disk - it saves your hard drive and actually speeds up the process. It is always faster to read / write from ram than it is to a HD. ;)
aussie_geek
edit - although I do think distributed computing is a great solution to solving problems, I can't see myself being that dedicated setting up a box fan to cool my computer so I can pump out 300 work units a year....
more...
Nishi100
May 4, 01:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
Come on kids. You can work it out with a bit of pythagoras. Do you need me to tie your shoe laces for you as well?
You wouldn't use pythagoras: it's for right angled triangles, and the iMac isn't in the shape of a triangle; to find out the size of the stand, you would use estimated proportions, as you don't have any other data from that "helpful" website.
I thought this was funny - when people try to outsmart someone and end up failing. Just like on YouTube:
"Your dum." *Marked as spam*
Then someone replies: "You're the dumb one. You can't spell 'your' or 'dum'."
or, "Irony at its best."
Come on kids. You can work it out with a bit of pythagoras. Do you need me to tie your shoe laces for you as well?
You wouldn't use pythagoras: it's for right angled triangles, and the iMac isn't in the shape of a triangle; to find out the size of the stand, you would use estimated proportions, as you don't have any other data from that "helpful" website.
I thought this was funny - when people try to outsmart someone and end up failing. Just like on YouTube:
"Your dum." *Marked as spam*
Then someone replies: "You're the dumb one. You can't spell 'your' or 'dum'."
or, "Irony at its best."
R94N
Nov 4, 10:35 AM
Quite a nice idea - one of the other forums I visit uses VBulletin software as well and it has the photos.
more...
Aperture
Jan 15, 10:30 PM
i had signed up for the text message updates a few days ago... i was stuck at school all morning, and at around 10:30ish got my phone to check it out. I was expecting atleast 5 to 10 messages, like the site said. Instead, I had one. From 8:56 AM saying "the keynote will start in 30 minutes" thats it! i got no other messages at all, and got a friends iphone taken away by trying to check the website, but EDGE was waay too slow, and we got caught..
did anyone else have this issue without getting their SMS updates?
:mad:
I signed up and received no text messages.
did anyone else have this issue without getting their SMS updates?
:mad:
I signed up and received no text messages.
Adey
Jul 21, 07:11 PM
General Sentiment is part of an elite team of Mercenary Ex-Servicemen who reside in the shadows of the Los Angeles Underground. The full contingent is:
General Sentiment (Responsible for monitoring morale)
Major Improvement (Morale Uplifts)
Admiral Butterfly (Aesthetics)
Corporal Punishment (Deals with those who lower morale)
Private Practice (deals with those unfortunate enough to have faced Corporal Punishment)
and finally...
Seaman Staines (added to the team only to provide Murdock-style comedy value at the end of each scene).
General Sentiment (Responsible for monitoring morale)
Major Improvement (Morale Uplifts)
Admiral Butterfly (Aesthetics)
Corporal Punishment (Deals with those who lower morale)
Private Practice (deals with those unfortunate enough to have faced Corporal Punishment)
and finally...
Seaman Staines (added to the team only to provide Murdock-style comedy value at the end of each scene).
more...
jigglyjon
May 4, 07:25 PM
Just noticed a weird issue that is slightly bugging me. I have my desktop wallpaper to cycle every 15 minutes. It works fine when not connected to an external display, but when I hook up my external monitor and set it as the primary, it doesn't cycle anymore. Whats even more odd is the MBP screen (secondary desktop) still cycles.
Any clue why?
Any clue why?
tech4all
Sep 17, 06:54 PM
My wife and I are going to San Francisco in November. I thinking about taking the BART from SFO to downtown. Mainly I would avoid the hassle of driving downtown plus I would save on rental car costs and parking costs. Once we get downtown we won't really need a car.
How do people feel about BART?
Is it safe and reliable?
First off read this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=149771) (first post). I personally have never seen that happen, but I feel you should be aware of that.
In my experience BART is fairly safe. Just don't leave things unattended; keep them under control at all times. Like always have your bag on your lap and a strap or something looping your arm just incase. I've taken my iPod on BART before and never had a problem; although I was a bit nervous at times. Since your only going from SFO to downtown SF it won't take that long to get there. Just got to be alert and just use common sense with certain things.
As far as reliability is concerned - well for the most part they're usually on time. But there have been occasions (more than once) were they were delayed, and that can be bad especially during the evening commute home when you want to get home.
But all in all, it's safe. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just use common sense: don't show anything valuable, keep that stuff in a pocket or bag. And just be alert in general. I mean I've even taken naps on BART and never really had a problem. And BART does have it's own police unit.
Hope that all makes sense. If not post back :)
How do people feel about BART?
Is it safe and reliable?
First off read this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=149771) (first post). I personally have never seen that happen, but I feel you should be aware of that.
In my experience BART is fairly safe. Just don't leave things unattended; keep them under control at all times. Like always have your bag on your lap and a strap or something looping your arm just incase. I've taken my iPod on BART before and never had a problem; although I was a bit nervous at times. Since your only going from SFO to downtown SF it won't take that long to get there. Just got to be alert and just use common sense with certain things.
As far as reliability is concerned - well for the most part they're usually on time. But there have been occasions (more than once) were they were delayed, and that can be bad especially during the evening commute home when you want to get home.
But all in all, it's safe. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just use common sense: don't show anything valuable, keep that stuff in a pocket or bag. And just be alert in general. I mean I've even taken naps on BART and never really had a problem. And BART does have it's own police unit.
Hope that all makes sense. If not post back :)
more...
Tallest Skil
Jun 10, 09:40 AM
Most of their revenue (correct me if i'm wrong) comes from ipod sales.
Nope, Macs still make more money.
Nope, Macs still make more money.
xfauxsn
Jan 10, 08:39 PM
Hi all, I recently rebooted and have noticed a small blue "bubble" on my screen. It is transparent and turns opaque when you mouse over it. If you click on it, it activates the function usually assigned to the F10 key for Expose. I can move it around the screen like something from Konfabulator. I do have both Konfabulator and Growl installed, but they are both off right now.. and this thing still won't go away. Any help?
more...
CanadaRAM
Sep 17, 04:11 PM
Easy enough to look in the G5 and count the sockets. It depends on the age of your machine.
PC RAM is not necessarily compatible -- Look for RAM from a reputable vendor who tests and guarantees comptibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.
Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
PC RAM is not necessarily compatible -- Look for RAM from a reputable vendor who tests and guarantees comptibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.
Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
jimthorn
Jul 5, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Nermal
I installed from the 10.2.1 CDs and updated to 10.2.6. Take a look at your files and see if they're the same size and version.
Thanks for all the info, Nermal. I'll check my files.
Originally posted by iJon
well now that i look i have the same problem. but finder is working ok so i dont really care.
Yeah, that's my basic feeling too. It seems to work fine. Actually, because it works, I'm really not sure how long ago this started. I just glanced at the Dock the other day and was surprised not to see the little black arrow under the Mac face. Now I'm problem-solving it just for an excuse to learn more about the workings of OS X.
I installed from the 10.2.1 CDs and updated to 10.2.6. Take a look at your files and see if they're the same size and version.
Thanks for all the info, Nermal. I'll check my files.
Originally posted by iJon
well now that i look i have the same problem. but finder is working ok so i dont really care.
Yeah, that's my basic feeling too. It seems to work fine. Actually, because it works, I'm really not sure how long ago this started. I just glanced at the Dock the other day and was surprised not to see the little black arrow under the Mac face. Now I'm problem-solving it just for an excuse to learn more about the workings of OS X.
mikey.f
Oct 24, 11:28 AM
I will be going there right after work, which ends @ 5. Should be able to get to the Mall by 5:30 and have my 30 minutes of standing in line! haha
I personally don't expect too many people there, it's a rather small store (Oklahoma City Penn Square Mall).
But yeah, I also might be wrong.
I personally don't expect too many people there, it's a rather small store (Oklahoma City Penn Square Mall).
But yeah, I also might be wrong.
panda
Apr 8, 04:22 AM
It IS a reasonable price to protect your 1GB Shuffle. People are protective of their Apple kit, because it is designed so well. They want to preserve the look, even if it costs a little extra. $30 is still way cheaper than replacing your Shuffle because of scuffs and scratches on the case.
And besides, it's blue, to boot... ;)
interesting way of seeing it...
yet, why preserve the pristine look of the shuttle when you will not be able appreciate it with this case on?
and then of course, alu scratches badly, so one would need to buy a case to protect the case. yikes! :)
And besides, it's blue, to boot... ;)
interesting way of seeing it...
yet, why preserve the pristine look of the shuttle when you will not be able appreciate it with this case on?
and then of course, alu scratches badly, so one would need to buy a case to protect the case. yikes! :)
ranReloaded
Jun 21, 05:28 AM
What about the WWDC 2009 videos? They aren't up for sale anymore and they don't appear to be part of the free offerings for registered developers. Can anyone confirm whether or not the 2009 videos were added with the 2010 videos?
Who cares? WWDC 2009 videos are sooo last-year! :D
Who cares? WWDC 2009 videos are sooo last-year! :D
john_satc
Mar 7, 11:59 AM
Specific instructions for created an encrypted, password-protected folder:
RedTomato
Mar 31, 06:47 PM
Attach any tripod, even a cheap one. Extend legs of tripod, but don't open it out. Just hold it and use it as a stabilising arm, either grounded, or off the ground.
I've had excellent results like that. Bonus is you can use it as a handheld crane and get very good angles you couldn't get otherwise.
I've been known to open the elbow to 90 degrees and run along with the camera an inch above the grass to get the worm's eye view.
I've had excellent results like that. Bonus is you can use it as a handheld crane and get very good angles you couldn't get otherwise.
I've been known to open the elbow to 90 degrees and run along with the camera an inch above the grass to get the worm's eye view.
THX1139
Nov 24, 02:15 PM
The color inconsistency may have to do with your browser and PS not using colorspaces properly.
He probably has color management turned on, and when he loads the images into the browser the colors are different. The solution would be to turn color management off in Photoshop.
Another issue might be that he is using blending modes for his rollovers that get lost when the image is flattened.
He probably has color management turned on, and when he loads the images into the browser the colors are different. The solution would be to turn color management off in Photoshop.
Another issue might be that he is using blending modes for his rollovers that get lost when the image is flattened.


