.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Big Troubles – Worry 8.0


This is an album that gets better as it progresses. You’re immediately introduced to some sort of The Jesus and Mary Chain/synthesizer hybrid with “Video Rock”. Oh, and you may want to watch out for the volume on this. Its main ally seems to be pure volume.

But don’t let the volume scare you off. First and foremost, this is unabashed pop music, and another victory for New Jersey and the Olde English Spelling Bee respectively. Meeting at Ridgewood High School, they separated for college and got back together to make this great stuff. Each song is pure hyperactive sugar to the brain. 

My preferred picks would be the slow jam “Georgia” which reeks of the best of late 80s. An ultra-distorted guitar plays in the background of the song, adding emotional resonance rather than being an annoying distraction. “Drastic and Difficult” reminds me of surf music fed into a computer and spit right back up at you.

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Don’t let your initial gut reaction determine your feelings for it, it took me a few listens but proved to be more than worth it.