.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Ducktails – Hamilton Road 7.6

Ducktails took me a while to get into. When I first heard it, I think I was a bit too stressed out to fully appreciate what was going on. Recently, I put on some of their old stuff at random, and it hit me. So I decided to re-evaluate what Matthew Mondanile was all about.

This stuff sounds a lot more polished than before. It is achingly sweet as well. Before the entire affair was shrouded in some sort of haze but now it has fully emerged. Don’t worry, he hasn’t gone high fidelity on us, it is just a little easier to get into. It sounds a little fuller.

“Hamilton Road” gets into a channeling of 60s mellow jams. Matt’s vocals have gotten more prominent. That delightful lazy summer day vibe hasn’t left the music either, had this come out in the summer I’d probably be blasting this every day. As it stands, I guess I can close my eyes and pretend it is warmer.

“Art Vandelay” brings up a slightly moodier vibe. But again, you have that slacker anthem feel going on for the 3 minutes. His choice to use more organic instrumentation makes the whole thing more believable than say “Ducktails” the self-titled first album not that was bad. Just this sounds even better.

Ducktails III: Arcade Dynamics, if it keeps up this quality, might just blow me out the water and give me that little extra joy I’ll need . Pity this taste is under six minutes.

Don't worry about the album, it is due out on January 10th. Mark your calendars!