.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Panda Bear – Saturday, September 11th, 2010


Months of anticipation will finally be put to rest. After purchasing these tickets long ago, I sort of forgot about them. I figured that by now Panda Bear would’ve had his album out now and that I could have become familiar with it.

Sadly, living in Portugal has dulled Panda Bear’s flair for work. Instead, we’re still hanging on a prayer that at some point Noah Lennox will get his act together and release what looks like 11 songs, based off of various “live leaks”. Now don’t get me wrong, I have enjoyed the EPs up to this point, but I did wish that we could get the same sprawling, giant tracks that adorned “Person Pitch”. Maybe those songs are in the pipeline.

Anyway, I feel like you should come out. I’d appreciate your company on that small ferry as we head into Manhattan’s last true artist colony. Then I could explain to you why so many of my posts this week have been based heavily on AM pop hits.

Nah, I’ll do that now. Basically, I focused heavily on AM pop hits because they are everywhere. They form the wallpaper music you find in any large setting, due to their generally inoffensive nature. A taco bell has it, a dentist’s office has it, and a train station has it. But I feel as we cross over that small body of water, leaving the hustle and bustle of the city, we should have one of the following artists on:

Steely Dan
The Doobie Brothers

Newer AM influenced hits:

Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti
Lovelife – 1994


My pick would be the following:

The Doobie Brothers – Open Your Eyes

Somebody should print out the following lyrics:

“Girl, as we take a long last look at this love
Before you go, I've got to know
I've got to know, was it ever true
I've got to hear it from you
Girl, I can take one more hurt in this heart
Before you go, I've got to know
I've got to know, was it ever true
I've got to hear it from you

Not like before
We were lost in a whirling dance
Never slowing down
Long enough to give truth a chance
To come out
So that the light could shine in

And open your eyes
If it's not real, there's no reason to frown
Open your eyes
Let's not let what never was bring us down

I've got to know, was it ever true
I've got to hear it from you

Not like before
We were lost in a whirling dance
Never slowing down
Long enough to give truth a chance
To come out
So that the light could shine in

And open your eyes
If it's not real, there's no reason to frown
Open your eyes
Let's not let what never was bring us down...”


So as you’re hanging around in your plaid shirt, full length skirt, moccasins, or whatever you feel like wearing, we could have a dance party. Not good dancing, but more like Peanuts quality dance moves. Look at each other, hug each other. Learn to be brothers and sisters to each other.

On a side note, I feel there needs to be a Terry Riley (You’re No Good) type remix of this song, lasting about 22 minutes with the song repeated in bits ad nausea. I feel this song has enough sections and light enough fare for such an endeavor to be effective.
See you on Saturday!